Fish curry is the dish of the day, and we are diving into the world of budget-friendly cooking with a recipe that will satisfy your cravings for a flavorful fish curry without putting a dent in your wallet.
Using tinned pilchards as the star ingredient, along with the combination of garlic, ginger, and dhania (coriander), we'll show you how to create a dish that's not only easy on the pocket but also bursting with flavor.
Whether you are a student on a tight budget, a busy parent looking to save time and money, or simply someone who appreciates a good meal without the hefty price tag, this budget fish curry recipe is for you.
So.... let's roll up our sleeves, get cooking, and discover how simple ingredients can come together to create a delicious and affordable feast.
- 1 x 425g tin of Pilchards in tomato sauce ( you can also use hot chili sauce, if you lean towards the very spicy stuff).
- 2 large chopped tomatoes or 1 x tin chopped tomatoes.
- 1 x Medium sized chopped onion, in mind that onions are extremely good for you.
- 2 tsp olive oil or sunflower cooking oil.
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste.
- ½ teaspoon crushed ginger or grated fresh ginger.
- 1 Bay leaf.
- 2 medium heat chili's cut lengthwise, deveined and pips removed.
- 2 tbsp. Worcester sauce.
- 2 tsp. vinegar.
- 1 tsp. Mrs. Ball's fruit chutney or 1tsp smooth apricot jam.
- 8 - 10 curry leaves.
- 2 tsp Dhania (also known as Chinese parsley, Cilantro or Coriander).
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Olive Oil and Garlic
- Place a medium sized pot on your hob.
- Pour in your oil.
- Add onions and cook until glazed taking care not to burn them. .
- Next add garlic, ginger and bay leaf, cook for a further 30 sec, again taking care not to let the ingredients burn.
- Pour in your vinegar and stir .
- Add the tomato, chutney, worcester sauce and curry leaves..
- Lower the heat and leave to simmer for 20- 25 min stirring occasionally, if the sauce gets too thick you can add ¼ cup of water.
- While your curry sauce is simmering start preparing your pilchards, using two plates.
- Open the can of pilchards (be careful not to cut yourself on the lid) and place your fish in one dish.
- In the other dish take one piece of fish at a time and using a knife and fork open the fish down the middle and clean the bones and inside.
- When you have cleaned all the pieces, put them back with the tomato juice in the first dish.
- Place the prepared pilchards for your fish curry into your pot of curry sauce.
- When placing them into the pot try to keep the halves intact so stir gently.
- Simmer for about 10 min allowing the sauce to really soak into the fish.
- Remove from hot plate and remove bay leaf.
- Garnish with the Dhania (also know as Chinese parsley, Cilantro, Coriander).
Now that the cooking is done,there are various ways of
serving your fish curry by using:
- Traditional white or brown rice.
- Mealie meal pap. (South African's favorite).
- Lovely fresh bread/rolls (my favorite way of eating this curry).
- Bunny chow
- Naan bread.
This article was printed from Home-Cooking-Haven.com.com