Rosemary and Biltong Potato Bake
Welcome to Home Cooking Haven, and our page on Rosemary and Biltong Potato Bake where we celebrate the rich flavors and diverse culinary traditions from around the world.
Today we embark on a tantalizing journey to South Africa with our mouthwatering Rosemary and Biltong Potato Bake.
Biltong a beloved ingredient of all South Africans, adds a unique twist to this classic dish, infusing it with rich savory flavor that will transport your taste buds, to the vibrant streets of Johannesburg or the breathtaking landscapes of the Cape.
Join us as we delve into the art of home cooking and explore the delightful fusion of flavors that make this recipe a true culinary masterpiece.
The Sauce for Rosemary and Potato Bake
Ingredients for Sauce
- 2 T Olive Oil
- 1 T butter
- 2-3 Rosemary sprigs, leaves stripped and twigs discarded.
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 red onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1T Flour
- ½ cup cream
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup biltong Powder
Method for Sauce
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a small saucepan. Add the rosemary and bay leaves and stir-fry until fragrant.
- Add the onion and garlic and fry until soft and translucent. Reduce the heat and stir in the flour.
- Mix the cream and milk and add a little at a time to the flour mixture. Stir continuously to prevent lumps. Continue until the sauce has thickened and starts to simmer.
- Stir in the biltong powder and season with salt and pepper. Remove and discard the bay leaves and set the rosemary and biltong sauce aside.
Potato and Rosemary Bake Filling
- 8 Potatoes, peeled
- 100g mozzarella cheese, grated
- Freshly ground Pepper
- Preheat oven to 180° C
- Cut the potatoes into paper-thin slices.
- Pour a third of the sauce into the bottom of the prepared ovenproof dish.
- Add 3 layers of potato slices.
- Pour in another third of the sauce and add another 3 layers of potato slices
- Top with the remaining sauce
- The pre-heated oven to 180°C should now be ready to use.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top, cover the dish with foil and bake for an hour.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 15-30 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown and the potatoes are cooked and soft.
- Sprinkle the extra rosemary over the top and season with pepper.
Indulge in the comforting aromas and flavors of our Rosemary and Biltong Potato Bake, a dish that effortlessly marries the earthy essence of rosemary with the bold meaty notes of biltong.
Whether you're seeking a hearty side dish for a family gathering or a show-stopping centerpiece for a special occasion, this recipe is sure to impress.
The crispy edges of the potatoes, the fragrant rosemary-infused cream, and the irresistible biltong topping come together to create a symphony of flavors that will leave you craving for more.
At Home Cooking Haven, we believe that food has the power to bring people together, and this Rosemary and Biltong Bake is a testament to that belief.
So, gather your loved ones, unleash your inner chef, and let the magic of this dish transform your home into a haven of deliciousness.
This article was printed from Home-Cooking-Haven.com.com