Hi to all my fellow home chefs here on the East Coast of Africa and around the world.
Today we are going to share our yummy Curry Lamb recipe with potato's and green beans.
This is one of the most popular types of curried dishes from this part of the world and is very kind to your purse strings.
I am sure you will.....in fact I know you will love it and add it to one of your favourite curry recipes of all time.
Ingredients for Curry Lamb
Right the first thing which we have to do is put on our black and white Sharks Rugby team's apron (Sharks Rugby is Africa's greatest club rugby team).
Now.... let's gather all the ingredients for this delicious curry lamb.
- 450-500g lamb (mutton)cut into pieces use the bones as well as it adds to the overall flavour and great to eat them with you hands.
- 1 large onion chopped.
- 100ml veggie oil (you can use olive oil if you are a bit flush!).
- 1 bay leaf.
- 1 sprig curry leaves.
- 2 teaspoon garlic and ginger paste.
- 3 teaspoons curry powder (you may add more if you want hot curry).
3 -4 med sized potato's (very good for high blood pressure) peeled and quartered.(for those on the Banting diet substitute potato with sweet potato)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds.
- 1 small cinnamon stick.
- 250mg chopped tin tomato or 2 med sized fresh tomato chopped.
- salt and pepper to taste.
- 2 med red chillies slit down the middle, deveined and pips removed.(remember to wash your hands after you done the chillies)
- chopped dhania (otherwise known as coriander).
- 2 table spoons vinegar.
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce.
- 2 table spoons fruit chutney.(Banting dieters leave this out ,you can add 2 heaped tsp of xylotil.
Our preparation for this mouthwatering curry lamp is done, so let the cooking begin!!
- Turn your hob on high.
- Place your large pot on the hob and add the oil.
- add your lamb and fry until nice and brown.
- remove lamb and set aside for later.
- add the fennel seeds and fry for 10 seconds.
- add onions and fry until onion's have softened.
- add garlic ginger and curry powder and stir for a few seconds taking care not to let it burn.
- add your tomato's and chillies.
- now add the lamb you had put aside and stir well coating all the lamb.
- add the vinegar .
- add curry leaves and cinnamon stick and chillies.
- you may have to add ½ cup water at this stage.
- add Worcestershire sauce, fruit chutney and salt to taste.
- add potato's and bring back to the boil. (sweet potato)
- turn heat down to moderate and cover your pot and cook until meat is tender and potato's are cooked.
- add beans and continue to cook for 20 minutes.
- garnish with the dhania .
Great you have completed cooking you lamb curry and by now the fragrance of your delicious curry is being smelled by your neighbours, and you can probably expect a knock on your door ha ha har!.
You have now earned the right to sit back and enjoy a glass of wine or a pint of your favorite brew.
Now comes the fun part which is one that I enjoy and this is the plating and making the dish look even more delicious that you think it is.
- You can serve with traditional white or brown rice.
- Mealie meal pap.
- Lovely fresh bread.
- Naan bread (there are many recipes for this bread, and ours is going to follow very shortly - watch this space).
- Bunny Chow
We really hope that you will get great enjoyment out of cooking this recipe as well as eating it, and sharing the experience where ever you go.
Don't forget to come back to Home Cooking Haven to see what's cooking and until we meet again..........
Start at the beginning of this delicious Lamb curry
Go right back to the beginning of our Home Cooking Haven
Copyright 2014 Home Cooking Haven.Com. All Rights Reserved.