Healthy Onion Soup
1 hour 30
Here we go.... a simple, easy recipe for a healthy onion soup and believe it or not this pungent smelly vegetable has many medicinal properties that maybe you have never known about.
Try this recipe and then go to the end of this page to see exactly what it contains to make it a healthy proposition for a delicious soup.
- 540g of peeled and finely sliced onions. If you are not sure what 540 grams are then just use 2 "beeeeeg" onions
- 1stalk of celery chopped.
- 40g of butter (two big fat Banting friendly dollops).
- 2 large potato's, peeled (washed of course) and diced. (for Banting dieters refer highlighted note lower).
- Some sage to taste.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 2.1 liter of chicken stock.
- Shavings of Parmesan cheese to taste.
- Melt the big dollops of butter in a large saucepan and sauté the onions. Cover and carry on cooking gently for about 45 minutes, you can stir or shake the pot occasionally, both methods will work well. Cooking the onions slowly enhances the sweetness of this vegetable.
- Remove the lid and carry on cooking gently until the onions turn a caramel colour.
- Now my dear fellow cooks....... add the potato (not if you are on the banting diet) and celery.
- Stir in the chicken stock, and get ready to adjust the seasoning, ( salt and pepper and the sage) add and taste my friends.... keep on adding and most important of all keep tasting, until you are happy with that the flavours are just to your liking, then leave to simmer for another hour or so.
- Remove a quarter of the onions and set aside.
- Allow to cool for a tad, and then mix in a blender (if you are rich enough to have one) otherwise get out the old fashioned egg beater ( good for keeping the arms trim and toned) and mix into a "smooth-ish" consistency.
- Return the soup to a clean pot, and add the onions you had set aside earlier.
- Reheat slowly, while you clean up the mess you have just made of your kitchen.
If you want to make this a "banting friendly Onion Soup" then leave out the potato's , and prior to serving add half a cup of fresh Cream!!
- You can plate this with little pieces of toasted bread cubes ( called croutons - if you wanna be a fancy pants) and top off with some grated parmesan.
- This will serve 6 delicious, lip smacking helpings.
- You can halve all the ingredients if you are only cooking for one or two of you.
And just before we leave this page, take a few minutes to see what benefits you can get from eating this delicious, simple and healthy soup.
Is Onion Soup Healthy?
Quercetin is a flavenoid contained in onions (more so in red and yellow onions) which is:
This article was printed from Home-Cooking-Haven.com.com
"Let food be thy medicine and medicine thy food."