The Kitchen is been renovated, please be patient, we are almost done.
Healthy Onion Soup
Cooking Time: 1hour 30 mins
Here we go.... a simple, easy recipe for healthy onion soup and believe it or not this pungent smelly vegetable has many medicinal properties that maybe you have never known about.
Try this recipe and then go to the end of this page to see exactly what it contains to make it a healthy proposition for a delicious soup.
Ingredients for our Healthy Onion Soup
Right we going to need the following ingredients to create this delicious, lip smacking, healthy onion soup.
- 540g of peeled and finely sliced onions. If you are not sure what 540 grams are then just use 2 "beeeeeg" onions
- 1stalk of celery chopped.
- 40g of butter (two big fat Banting friendly dollops).
- 2 large potato's, peeled (washed of course) and diced. (for Banting dieters refer highlighted note lower).
- Some sage to taste.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 2.1 liter of chicken stock.
- Shavings of Parmesan cheese to taste.
If you want to make this a "banting friendly Onion soup" then leave out the potato's and prior to serving add half a cup of fresh cream.
How can I make Onion Soup?
The smelly but healthy onion
- Melt the big dollops of butter in a large saucepan and sauté the onions. Cover and carry on cooking gently for about 45 minutes, you can stir or shake the pot occasionally, both methods will work well. Cooking the onions slowly enhances the sweetness of this vegetable.
- Remove the lid and carry on cooking gently until the onions turn a caramel colour.
- Now my dear fellow cooks....... add the potato (not if you are on the banting diet) and celery.
- Stir in the chicken stock, and get ready to adjust the seasoning, ( salt and pepper and the sage) add and taste my friends.... keep on adding and most important of all keep tasting, until you are happy with that the flavours are just to your liking, then leave to simmer for another hour or so.
- Remove a quarter of the onions and set aside.
- Allow to cool for a tad, and then mix in a blender (if you are rich enough to have one) otherwise get out the old fashioned egg beater ( good for keeping the arms trim and toned) and mix into a "smooth-ish" consistency.
- Return the soup to a clean pot, and add the onions you had set aside earlier.
- Reheat slowly, while you clean up the mess you have just made of your kitchen.
You can plate this with little pieces of toasted bread cubes ( called croutons - if you wanna be a fancy pants) and top off with some grated parmesan.
This will serve 6 delicious, lip smacking helpings.
You can halve all the ingredients if you are only cooking for one or two of you.
And just before we leave this page, take a few minutes to see what benefits you can get from eating this delicious, simple and healthy soup.
Is Onion Soup Healthy?
Quercetin is a flavenoid contained in onions (more so in red and yellow onions) which is;
- a powerful natural antioxidant.
- a natural antihistamine.
- and a natural anti-inflammatory.
It is useful for many other ailments such as High Blood Pressure and High Cholesterol and any left over raw onions, can be used in a mixed salad or used for anyone suffering from nausea or vomiting.
Leave out the parmesan cheese and the "fancy pants" croutons and enjoy with a slice of bread.
So, as always, until we meet again in Home Remedies Haven Kitchen.....Happy Cooking!!
Back to our Home Page.
To the top of our Healthy Onion Soup recipe.
"Let food be thy medicine and medicine thy food."