BANGERS AND MASH
How often have you come home after a hard day at the office, tired, hungry and do not feel like cooking a big dinner? So..... just perfect for one of those days, is a recipe from my quick recipes book...…. Bangers and Mash Home Cooking Haven style.
- 6 pork sausages or any other sausage you might prefer
- ¾ tsp English Mustard
- ½ tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 Med onions cut into rings
- 2 tsp plain flour
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 med sized potato's peeled and chopped into cubes, Banting dieters use cauliflower Mash or sweet potato
- 1Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce.
- 125gr frozen peas
- Coarse Black pepper and salt to taste
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ½ cup of water.
- With olive oil in a large skillet, fry the onions until translucent, remove and set aside.
- Add the sausages and cook on med to low heat for about 20 minutes until golden brown, remove and set aside.
- Return the onions to the skillet with mixed herbs and mustard. Cook until golden brown, .
- Drain excess oil from pan and turn heat down to medium, sprinkle the flour into the pan, leave the flour to absorb the juices for approx. 1 min.
- Add 1 tablespoon Worcester sauce, 1 tablespoon of Tomato sauce and ½ a cup of water while stirring, season with sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Just before serving put the sausages back into the skillet to warm for 1 to 3 minutes.
- 4 large Potato's.
- ½ cup cheddar cheese grated.
- 1 spoon butter.
- Heated milk.
- Salt and pepper.
- Boil the potato's in a pot of water until tender.
- Drain and mash.
- Add the butter to the mash and using a hand masher mash batter and potatoes.
- Heat the milk.
- Add milk slowly while mashing the potatoes until smooth and not sloppy.
- Add the grated cheese
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Those of you on the Banting Diet can do the same, using cauliflower or sweet potato.
In South Africa, we love having pap with our boerewors and it goes just as well with bangers, see how to make pap below.
Mielie pap can be enjoyed in different ways; some prefer it thinner and smoother, while others prefer a thicker and chunkier consistency.
In this instance we make it thicker and chunkier, and have it with the bangers and the sauce.
- 2 cups maize meal
- 3 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix 1 cup water with ½ cup maize meal and make a paste.
- Boil 2 cups of water in a saucepan till it starts bubble.
- Add a cup of maize and stir to avoid lumps.
- Let simmer for 3-4 mins
Below are just a few ideas for serving this tasty dish. Spoon a generous portion of mash potato's onto a plate.
- Place sausages on top of Mashed potato/Mash Sweet potato or pap and drizzle with gravy.
- Add a portion of boiled or steamed peas and enjoy!!
- Great with bake beans.
- In South Africa we love it on a helping of "pap" see instructions above.
- Serve with steamed Carrots and Green beans.
- With Bacon, Fried Potato/Sweet potato chips, Egg and fried tomatoes.
I'm sure you will come up with more ways of plating.
This article was printed from Home-Cooking-Haven.com.com