The Kitchen is been renovated, please be patient, we are almost done.
Chicken Pie Recipe
Cooking Time: About 45 minutes including the pastry
Our best ever chicken pie recipe for tasty simple home cooking is on the menu today. Yay!
Hello and welcome to all my fellow home chefs, from us here on the East Coast of Africa.
Now the reason for this pie been on the menu today is that I was paging through all my chicken recipe's, and yes you guessed it, I found this old favorite of mine, a pie which is filled with veggies, mushrooms and spices for wholesome eating for the whole family.
Sounds good hey?
Ingredients for Our Chicken Pie Recipe
As always, I like to get all the prep work done so that when we start cooking we are not running around the kitchen like a chicken without a head at the last minute. (That is so funny!).
- 1 roll puff pastry thawed (most local supermarkets sell this.)
- 3 med size chicken breasts (skin removed) cut into bite size cubes sprinkled with chicken spice.
- 2 cloves fresh garlic (see the benefits of eating garlic) crushed.
- 2 medium onions chopped.
- 4 Tbsps olive oil.
- 2 Tbsps butter.
- 200gr sliced mushrooms.
- 1 med size green pepper sliced into strips (can also add yellow and red pepper ).
- 1 small packet thick white onion soup powder.
- 250gr frozen mixed veggies.
- 2½ cups chicken broth (I use the Knorr chicken stock which makes 500ml of stock).
- 1cup milk (low or full cream)
- 1 tsp. dried thyme, crushed.
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley.
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard (can use English mustard).
- fresh ground sea salt to taste.
- fresh ground black pepper corns to taste.
- cup of water on stand by.
Okey Dokey, we have now finished all the prep work and all our ingredients are in front of us to create this mouth watering chicken pie recipe.
But before we start let's take a break and enjoy something refreshing to drink.
Right it's that time again wait for it...........
" Let's start A cooking"
- Place the chicken and olive oil into a frying pan and cook until chicken is tender and golden brown.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Using the same frying pan add the butter.
- Add the onions mushrooms, carrots and fresh crushed garlic.
Cook for approx 5 minutes on medium heat stirring until the onions are translucent and the vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle half the packet of the thick onion soup over the veggies and cook, stirring until golden brown.
- Slowly pour in the broth, bring to a boil and stir until the mixture thickens. If it gets too thick use the milk to get the right consistency
- Stir in the mustard, thyme, green pepper, ground black pepper, chicken, mixed veggies and parsley.
- Remove from heat
Your oven should now have been pre-heated to 180°C.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into a large casserole dish.
- Unroll the puffed pastry on a flat surface sprinkled with flour.
- Roll the pastry out to fit your casserole dish over lapping by± 10mm.
- Cover your casserole dish with the pastry, cut off any excess.
- Tuck the over hanging dough around the dish.
- Insert small cuts randomly in the pastry to allow the steam to escape.
- Using a small brush, brush the pastry with the whisked egg.
- Place the casserole dish into the preheated oven and bake until pastry is golden brown.
Delicious Chicken pie and Salad
The chicken pie is ready to plate up, and here are a few ways you can enjoy this delicious scrumptious pie.
- On it's own.
- With a refreshing garden salad (French, Greek, Italian the choice is yours, they all go well with this dish).
- With chips or potato wedges and gravy. (This was the most popular dish for all surfers in South Africa).
- A great favorite with my kids is with chips (fries) and half a bottle of ketchup ha ha!!