Chicken Soup Recipe
Hello and welcome all my home chefs, to Chicken Soup Recipe day, wherever we go in this world, somewhere, it will be chicken soup day.
Awhile ago we visited our friends Dave &Antoinette, Antoinette made us this great........ and I mean great chicken soup.
We travelled some 600km to taste this exquisite soup. Dave warned us that if we did not enjoy it then we would indeed be "stoopid, stoopid, stoopid. He was right.!!
As soon as I finished the first bowl I became like Oliver Twist pleading for more.
- 8 chicken thighs with skin.
- 2 med size onions.
- half (½) a head of chopped cabbage. (remove outer layer before chopping and set aside for your doggies, see further on).
- ½ punnet of sliced mushrooms(125mg).
- 4 stalks of celery.
- 3 potatoes peeled and cubed, plus 1 potatoe cubed set aside for later. (For Banting chicken soup, rather use cauliflower/sweet potato).
- 3 chopped tomatoes.
- 750 ml chicken stock.
- 500 grams cubed mixed frozen carrots, peas, beans and sweetcorn.
- one level tsp sweet basil.
- one level tsp oreganum.
- 3 sprigs thyme.
- sea salt, black ground pepper to taste (a little caution with the salt, as the broth also contains salt).
The Ingredients all gathered and ready for cooking
- In a large skillet (frying pan) brown your chicken thighs.
- Remove thighs from the pan.
- Add your chopped onions and garlic and cook until translucent.
- Add your chopped cabbage and stir for approx. 3 minutes.
- Now, all my fellow cooks, add your chopped tomatoes and continue stirring.
- Add your chopped celery and stir.
- Put the chicken back.
Time to transfer all your ingredients into your pressure cooker.
- Transfer all the ingredients from the skillet to the pressure cooker.
- Add 500 ml of chicken stock.
- 3 cubed potato's (Banting followers should use sweet potato).
- Enough boiling water to cover.
- Sweet basil.
- 3 sprigs thyme.
- Seal your pressure cooker and steam until potatoes (sweet potato) are soft, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
Release the steam and then.......
- Remove chicken meat from bones and skin (put skin aside for your loyal pets)
- Chop or shred chicken meat.
- Using a potato masher, mash all the ingredients while they are still in the cooker.
- Add one cubed potato, (sweet potato) sliced mushrooms, 500 grams diced mixed veggies together with the chicken.
- Seal cooker, bring back to pressure and steam for a further 15 minutes.
What I love about soup dishes is that there are so many different ways of plating:
- In a lage soup bowls with croutons
- In a big soup mug,
- With fresh bread, any make, shape, size or type, they all go well with chicken soup.
P.S. For those who want to add a bit of "oomph" to their soup a few drops of Tabasco sauce does the trick.
And I would like to thank Antoinette for sharing this soup recipe with me and allowing me to share it will all my Home Cooking Chefs.
Right....Let's spoil the Dogs!!
Use the potato skins and the outer layer of the discarded cabbage and the chicken skin. We can make a great treat for them to add to their crunchies.
Ingredients for the dog food
- Potato skins from the potatoes used in the soup.
- Outer layer of the discarded cabbage.
- Chicken Skin
- Boil the chicken skin together with the potato skins and the outer layer of cabbage (chopped)
- Add half cube of chicken stock to this and simmer for 10minutes.
- Allow to cool somewhat and pour over your pets food,
- They will love you for this!!
On Top Terms
This article was printed from Home-Cooking-Haven.com.com