To all Home Cooking Haven Guests and frequent Visitors, this Website is under Construction, please be patient with us, we will be back soon.
The Kitchen is been renovated!!
Hi to all my fellow home chefs here on the east coast of Africa, and around the world.Today I going to show you how to make ketchup sauce from a Ketchup recipe I found. Ketchup (AKA tomato sauce here at home)must be one of the most used sauce in the world.You can also leave out one step in this recipe and have a great ,tangy ,relish which will set your taste buds alight .As a extra bonus you can puree some of it into a smooth sauce for the base of your pizza
Ingredients for Ketchup recipe
To start this ketchup recipe we will need the following ingredients.
- 4 large onions chopped finely
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 green peppers seeds remove and chopped finely
- 1 1/2 tomato chopped finely
- 4 tsp. coarse sea salt ground in a mortar
- 1/2 to 1 tsps. fresh ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp. coriander seed ground in a mortar
- 4 Tbsp. brown sugar
- juice of I large lemon
- 2 tsps. lemon zest
- 3/4 cup finely chopped Basil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped flat -leaf parsley
- 4 Tbsp smooth apricot jam( USA chefs apricot jelly)
Method for Ketchup recipe
Okey Dokey now that we got all the ingredients for the ketchup recipe the work starts ,at this stage I would like to warn you that it takes a bit of time to prepare the ingredients for your ketchup recipe ,but boy the end results is worth every minute and you and your family will be happy ,Burgers, Hot Dogs, Fries will never taste better with any other Ketchup.
- Place a large stainless steel pot on your hob and add olive oil
- Add onions and fry until golden brown stirring all the time
- Add your chopped tomato's and green peppers ,stir well and reduce heat.
- now add your black pepper ground salt, brown sugar and ground coriander seeds
- mix all ingredients well and continue to stir, simmer for 15-20min minute's(take care it does not burn
- Add lemon juice,lemon zest Basil and Parsley continue stirring
- Lastly add the Apricot jam(jelly)
- Give it one final good stir, simmer for a minute
- Spoon your ketchup into sterilized jars or wide mouth bottles
list of some optional extra ingredients you can add to your ketchup
- chopped bird eye red chillies seeded or any other you prefer
- large cloves crushed fresh garlic
- crushed fresh ginger
- tobasco sauce
the chose is yours you can divide the ketchup recipe into different containers and mark them
(I always make about 4 separate containers
Congratulations you came through like a star chef, give yourself a good pat on the back
Time now for you to sit back relax and enjoy a cool glass of your favourite drink, toast yourself on a job well done
Ideas where you can use your ketchup
Just a few ideas where one can use your Ketchup
- Use as a relish dip with savoury biscuits when you entertaining guests at home
- A must with a English breakfast ,bacon ,egg,porkies
- A Hamburger will never be the same with out your home made ketchup
- Same goes for Hot dogs
- Any sandwich whether toasted or plain
- Cooking, add to stews, curries, pasta dishes, casseroles
- Your kids will love it on their school sandwich's
- base for home made pizzas
I really hope that you enjoyed doing this ketchup recipe with us.
Please do not stop here ,this is just one way of making, ketchup/sauce, using your creative cooking imagination there is no limit to what you can achieve.
We really hope that you will get great enjoyment out of cooking this recipe as well as eating it, and sharing the experience wherever you go in the world.
Don't forget to come back to Home Cooking Haven to see what's cooking and until we meet again.......... Happy Cooking