Chicken Slow Cooker
Roasted Slow Cooker Chicken with Gravy
A chicken slow cooker recipe for my fellow home chefs and friends sounds like something new and exciting, and well in keeping with Home Cooking Haven's mission
statement which we emphasize:
"Delicious, but very simple recipes, economical to suit everyone's budget strings".
Today I would love you to join me in the kitchen to do this tasty roast chicken slow cooker recipe with a medley of fresh veggies, with my favourite, and your soon to be favourite chicken stuffing.
At first glance this appears to be a long winded recipe, but in actual fact once you start you will realise that it is very simple, and can all be done and put into the cooker before you leave for work.
When you get home all you will need to do is brown the chicken if you want to, and make a gravy, and serve, what a pleasure after a long day at the office.
Ingredients for the Chicken Slow Cooker Recipe.
Preparing the Chicken for a Slow Cooker.
- 1 Medium to Large Chicken
- 2 tsp ground sea salt.
- 2 tsp ground black pepper.
- 1 tsp paprika.
- 1tsp crushed garlic.
- 1tsp dried mixed herbs.
- 1tsp chicken barbecue spice.
- 1tbsp Olive Oil
- 1tsp fresh lemon juice (lemons are so good for us).
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper.
- Put all the spice in a mortar and using a pestle grind and mix into a paste.
- Add the olive oil and lemon juice to the paste and mix.
- Wash your hands well, and rub the mixture over the entire bird, inside and out getting it ready for the chicken slow cooker recipe.
- Set the chicken to one side, while you prepare the stuffing.
Ingredients for the Stuffing.
Preparing the Stuffing.
Delicious stuffing from a Slow Cooker Chicken
- 2 Tbsp olive oil.
- 2 Onions, one finely chopped.
- 2 finely chopped celery stalks.
- 3 cups 1 or 2 day old breadcrumbs.(those of you on the Banting diet you can use the Banting bread )
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh herbs, thyme, sage and parsley.
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs.
- 1 egg, beaten.
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Fry the finely chopped onions and celery for ± 10 minutes or until soft.
- Remove from pan and place in mixing bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients, and mix with hands that have just been washed.
- Stuff the cavity of the chicken with the mixture and plug the hole with the whole peeled onion (see benefits of eating onions) and tie legs together.
Veggies for the Slow Cooker.
Method for slow cooking the Veggies.
Coarse Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1 Medium to large chopped onion.
- 4 medium sized washed and thickly sliced carrots (do not peel).
- 6 baby marrows.
- ¾ cup chicken stock.
- 1 lemon washed and cut into 8 wedges
- 2 Tbsp sweet mild chilli sauce.
- 6 medium potatoes, washed and quartered (do not peel.)
- 4 celery stalks cut into thirds.
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and mashed
- Place the prepared veggies into the slow cooker and add chicken stock.
- Add the prepared Chicken with stuffing on top of the veggies and cover.
- Cook for 4 to 5½ hours by which time the chicken will be done and the veggies tender.
When you get home from work, you can place the chicken under grill for a few minutes if you wish to brown the skin, or else just make the gravy, dish up and enjoy.
Ingredients for the Gravy.
Method for the Gravy.
- 2 Tbsp plain flour.
- Juices from the roasting pan.
- Stock from the cooked veggies.
- 150ml dry white wine or apple juice
- Blend the flour with a little water in a jug to form a paste.
- Gradually stir in the roasting juices, then pour into a saucepan.
- Add some stock from the veggies, the wine (or apple juice) and bring to the boil, stirring continuously until smooth and thickened.
- Season to taste and pour into a gravy jug.
- with traditional white or brown rice.
- cauliflower mash (the latest craze and is very popular for those that are following the Banting Diet).
- Mealie meal pap, which is a traditional and very much loved way of serving these sort of meals in Africa.
We really hope that you will get great enjoyment out of cooking this recipe as well as eating it, and sharing the experience where ever you go.
Don't forget to come back to Home Cooking Haven to see what's cooking and until we meet again..........
Copyright 2014 Home Cooking Haven.Com. All Rights Reserved.