The Kitchen is been renovated, please be patient, we are almost done.
Prep Time: 25 minutes. Cooking Time: 30 minutes. Serves: 6 - 8
Biryani is on the menu today. YAY!
If some one who was not into cooking asked me what is Biryani? I would explain it to them as a delicious tasty dish made with various meats or fish, mixed with spicy rice and a blend of spices.
Greetings to all fellow home chefs here on the East Coast of Africa and around this beautiful world we live in
As mentioned above, biryani is on the menu and today I would like to spoil all ex pat South Africans by showing them how to make a delicious Fish Biryani.
This recipe can also used to make a Mutton, Lamb, Beef or Chicken Biryani.
Spices, ingredients and cooking time differ a bit but method is basically the same. Check out our home page for other mouthwatering dishes.
Great, to start this delicious meal we will need the following ingredients:
Today the fish we will be using is fresh Dorado (AKA Mahi-mahi).You can use fresh Hake or any other firm white fish
- 800g fresh Dorado.
- Oil for frying.
- 2 Tbsp.(30g) Fish Masala.
- 750ml (3 cups)Basmati rice.
- 250ml Brown Lentils.
- 45m(3Tbsp.)Olive oil.
- 4 Onions peeled and chopped.
- Salt and Pepper.
- 250ml (1 cup) buttermilk.
- 1 can (410g) chopped tomato's.
- 2 handfuls fresh Dhania (Coriander) chopped.
- 2 Cinnamon sticks.
- 3 Cardamom pods.
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and chopped.
- 1 Star Anise.
- 2-3 whole dried red chilies
- 7 ml (1½ tsp.) salt.
- ml (2 tsp.) chili powder.
- 30 ml (2Tbsp.) fish Masala.
- 10 ml (2 tsp.) ground Cumin.
- 1 ml (¼ tsp.) Turmeric.
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons.
You will also need, when its time to serve this mouth watering Biryani:
- 45ml (3 Tbsp.) butter diced.
- Fresh Dhania (coriander).
- Plain Yoghurt.
- Sambals of chopped spring Onions and Tomato's.
Whoa, quiet a long shopping list hey? But boy, believe me it's worth it.
Time out, sit back and relax for a few minutes and enjoy a beverage of your choose, before we start this once tasted never forgotten meal.
Method for Biryani
Great, did you enjoy your beverage? Now its time to wait for it.
"Time to start a cooking".
- Pre heat oven to 150°c (300°F).
- Season fish with salt, pepper and fish Masala.
- Shallow fry for1-2 minutes and then set aside.
- Cook rice and lentils according to instruction on packet.
- Using the Olive oil fry onions until translucent.
- Set aside for later.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
Putting it all together.
- Assemble in a large oven proof dish.
- Start by a layer of onions, followed by Rice, Lentils, marinade and a few pieces of fish.
- Repeat the layers reserving enough rice to end with a good cover of rice.
- Randomly place the top with the butter.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 60 minutes.
- Turn oven off.
Viola ,you have just completed a great meal.
You must be quite hot now after being in the kitchen, and seeing you have done such a great dish, reward yourself and sit back turn the music on, and relax with a cool drink of your choice.
Okey Dokey Guests have arrived time now to serve.
- Using oven gloves remove the Biryani from oven.
- Garnish with Dhania.
- Serve with a dollop of plain Yoghurt and sambals.
- Serve with Yoghurt and cucumber salad.