Rosemary and Biltong Potato Bake
This dish can be served on most occasions, as a side when you are having a braai (barbeque), or as a meal on its own, even with cold meats and salads, you decide!!
- Moderately Hot
- 2 T Olive Oil
- 1 T butter
- 2-3 Rosemary sprigs, leaves stripped and twigs discarded.
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 red onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1T Flour
- ½ cup cream
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup biltong Powder
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a small saucepan. Add the rosemary and bay leaves and stir-fry until fragrant.
- Add the onion and garlic and fry until soft and translucent. Reduce the heat and stir in the flour.
- Mix the cream and milk and add a little at a time to the flour mixture. Stir continuously to prevent lumps. Continue until the sauce has thickened and starts to simmer.
- Stir in the biltong powder and season with salt and pepper. Remove and discard the bay leaves and set the sauce aside.
PRE-HEAT THE OVEN TO 180° C
- 8 Potatoes, peeled
- 100g mozzarella cheese, grated
- Extra Rosemary
- Freshly ground Pepper
- Cut the potatoes into paper-thin slices.
- Pour a third of the sauce into the bottom of the prepared ovenproof dish.
- Add 3 layers of potato slices.
- Pour in another third of the sauce and add another 3 layers of potato slices
- Top with the remaining sauce
- The pre-heated oven to 180°C should now be ready to use.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top, cover the dish with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 15-30 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown and the potatoes are cooked and soft.
- Sprinkle the extra rosemary over the top and season with pepper.
This article was printed from Home-Cooking-Haven.com.com