30 mins for meatballs, 1½ hours for the spicy sauce
Goodness Gracious, Great Balls of Fire.
Meatball Recipes is on the menu today.....Yipee
to all my fellow home chefs here on the east coast of Africa, and around
So how on Earth am I going to get you to like any old meatball concoction? Hang in there and see, cause today I'm gonna share my mom's recipe with you.
Wait a minute, breath in and out slowly and then decide if you would you like to join me,You would, great stuff welcome aboard. We are about to show you just how simple and easy it is to make my Mom's meatballs? (aka frikkadels here on the East Coast of Africa)
Right...... today you and I will be making these meatballs, smothered in a rich, spicy, tasty tomato gravy the Home Cooking Haven way. This will make your taste buds tickle and your mouth explode with pleasant flavors.
Okay ready, first thing grab your apron and let's start with gathering all our ingredients for my Mom's meatball recipe.
Ingredients for our Meatball Recipe
The easy thing about this recipe is that you can use any mince. Your preference could be beef, chicken, lamb or even veggie for those of us who do not eat meat.
So everyone can enjoy using this mouth watering recipe.
There are many meatball recipes around, but this one is the best!!
Today, at Home Cooking Haven you and I will be using topside beef mince, and I am really going to enjoy having someone like YOU helping me to make one of my favorite dishes.
Ingredients for the Meatballs .
- 450g Topside Beef Mince.
- 1/2cup Milk.
- 1 Medium sized onion - chopped.
- 1 Large Egg.
- 2 Tablespoon chopped Parsley (which is a natural anti-inflammatory and a natural anti-oxidant.
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs.(banting diet chef's leave out bread crumbs and replace it with banting bread)
- 1 Teaspoon ground Black Pepper.
- Salt to taste.
- 1/4 Green Pepper - Finely Chopped.
- 1 Teaspoon dried Italian Mixed Spice.
- 1 Teaspoon dried Oregano.
- 2 Cloves Garlic - Minced.
- 2 Med Hot Chillies - remove pips and veins. (This is optional).
Ingredients for the Spicy Sauce
Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1x 440 gram chopped tin tomato's.
- 1 Med size carrot grated.
- 1 Teaspoon crushed garlic.
- 1 Flat tablespoon fruit chutney(banting dieters leave this out).
- 1 Med size onion - finely chopped
- 1/2 a green pepper - chopped finely.
- 1 Teaspoon oregano.
- Freshly ground sea salt to taste.
- 1 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- 2 med heat chillies - chop and remove pips.
Method for the one of the best Meatball Recipes out.
Okey Dokey now that you got everything you need for one of our meatball recipes, it's that time again....... let's
"Start A Cooking".
- Place breadcrumbs in a bowel and mix with the milk, allow to stand.
- Using a whisk blend the egg, freshly ground black pepper and the coarse salt.
- Wash you hands now, as the rest of the mixing of the meatball ingredients is going to be done by hand.
- Place your beef mince, garlic, chopped onions, herbs, oregano, parsley and green peppers in a mixing bowl.
- Add the whisked egg.
- Now comes the part I like mix together using your hands, and don't overwork the mix.
- Enjoying yourself so far?
- Now add the breadcrumbs soaked in the milk.
- Using a tablespoon scoop out some of the mixture and form into balls shaped to your size preference.
- While I'm doing this how about turning the oven onto 180° C.
- Line your oven dish with tin foil and place your rolled meat balls on the foil leaving a space between each one.
- Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Turn over and continue to bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Save juice from oven dish for later.
Method for the Spicy Sauce
- Place a med size pot on your hob.
- Pour the juice from your meatballs (that you set aside earlier) into your pot.
- Add onions and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic, thyme, oregano , green pepper and chillies and stir.
- Add crushed tomato and grated carrots, stir while bringing to the boil.
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 1½ hours stirring occasionally.
- Just before plating, you can either add your meatballs to the sauce(gravy)
- when you plate you can pour the sauce over the meatballs.
Plating your Mouth Watering Meat Balls
You know, if there is one thing I really enjoy when I'm finished cooking, and I'm sure you will too and that is the plating, it gives me a great sense of satisfaction to see my recipe come alive.
But wait my fellow Chefs, before we do this, it is "time out", we have done such a great job together in the kitchen today, now we deserve to relax for a moment sit back and enjoy a glass of our favourite drink.
Okay that was great, now we can start plating selecting from various ways of serving our meatball dish i.e.
- White or brown rice.
- Basmati rice.
- Any type of pasta.
- Mash potato and peas.
- Cauliflower rice/sweet potato mash (for those on the Banting diet).
- Pap (African speciality).
- great as snacks and sauce dip of your choice during sundown's
- Or just on its own with a lovely fresh bread roll.
As a side dish with your meal add a fresh French or Greek salad.
"Bon Appetit" (as my Mother-in-law would say) to you and all our fellow home cooks out there
We really hope that you will get great enjoyment out of cooking this recipe as well as eating it, and sharing the experience where ever you go.
Don't forget to come back to Home Cooking Haven to see what's cooking and until we meet again..........
Copyright 2014 Home Cooking Haven.Com. All Rights Reserved.