3 Bean Salad
Traditionally we here at Home Cooking Haven use this 3 Bean Salad recipe at Christmas and New Year. However it's such a great salad that one can use it at Barbecues, Braais and Cold Meat and Salad Lunches etc.
- 1 x 400grm tin green beans drained.
- 1 x 400grm tin Butter beans drained.
- 1 x 400grm tin Baked beans with the tomato juice rinsed off and drained.
- 1 cup chopped onions.
- ½ cup chopped green peppers.
- ½ cup chopped red peppers.
- ½ cup chopped yellow peppers.
- ½ cup of oil.
- ½ cup red vinegar.
- 3 Tbsp. Brown sugar.
- 3 tsp basil.
- Ground Sea Salt and black Pepper to Taste.
- Optional addition is 5-6 dashes of Tabasco sauce for those who enjoy something with a little bite.
- Place med size pot on the hob.
- Using a colander drain the brine from the Green beans and Butter beans.
- Rinse the tomato juice from the baked beans.
- In a salad bowl combine your three beans, chopped onions and peppers.
- In a mixing dish place the vinegar, sugar, oil, sweet basil salt and pepper.
- Mix well and pour into pot.
- Turn heat to medium.
- Stir whilst heating.
- Remove from hob at boiling point.
- Pour over your 3 bean salad and combine.
- Allow to cool
- Optional addition, add 5-6 dashes of Tabasco sauce for those who enjoy something with a little bite.
- Cover with shrink wrap and refrigerate minimum 1-2 hrs.
- Moderately Hot
Serving your Three Bean Salad
What's so great about this incredible recipe is that it can compliment any meal as a side salad.
- As mentioned earlier, we traditionally have it on our Christmas day feast with the Gammon (see Home Cooking Haven Christmas Menu).
- Great with Fish.
- A must, if you having Cold meats and salad.
- Goes great with Barbecues.
- Braaivleis.(Traditional name used in South Africa for Barbecue).
- Add any Tin fish i.e. Tuna, Salmon, Sardines, Pilchards.
- Mix with shredded cold Chicken and a dash of Mayonnaise on a fresh French roll.
- And my favorite is to add cherry tomatoes, rocket, chorizo and red onion.... a meal on its own.
This article was printed from Home-Cooking-Haven.com.com